Tuesday, April 23, 2024

 



"A Diamond in the Rough"


Alicia Keys, photographed for her first magazine cover for the Fall 2001 issue of Yellow Rat Bastard (YRB) magazine by the late Seth Kushner on July 24, 2001.


Courtney Korder-Carreras interviews and names 20-year-old Alicia ‘A Diamond in the Rough’ for her very first magazine cover feature. Fresh from the release of her studio debut on June 5th, Songs in A Minor.

Alicia speaks on her mother Terri's involvement in her career, Carreras: “Is your mom active in your career?” Alicia: “She is definitely there for me. More so to help me, you know on the sides that other people don’t give a fuck. Pardon my French, I don’t know if I can speak like that during this magazine interview, but I will. And I figure by the title it’s ok. She helps me to make my life just a little bit more easy. She’s always been like that.” 


Yellow Rat Bastard started as a retail clothing store in SoHo, NYC, owned by Henry Ishay in 1996. Specializing in hip hop and alternative-style clothing and shoes. The print magazine followed in 1999, focussing on lifestyle, fashion, music and art. The word YRB was originally developed by legendary designer Marc Ecko, who was also a former store manager and space designer for the New York City store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment