Saturday, August 17, 2024

 

Alicia Keys, as featured on MTV’s “Fake ID Club” television program broadcast in late 2001.

The segment, hosted by The Soprano’s Jamie-Lynn Sigler, highlighted known and unknown young performers and individuals under the age of twenty-one, who weren’t even “old enough to buy a bottle of Cristal.”


Alicia’s friend Tiffany is interviewed about her No. 1 Billboard 200 friend: “She’s just a regular person. We talk about clothing. We talk about anything special that’s going on in your life, maybe a boy or something,”


The program then jumps to Alicia, and more of her personal life: “Right around the time that I wrote ‘Butterflyz,’ I was feeling some butterflies,” says the singer. “It was an instant attraction to my first love. And every time I spoke to him, or saw him, I got these crazy butterflies in my stomach. It was like, ridiculous. We talked on the phone all the time. I would sneak on the phone at night, hold the phone underneath the pillow. While my mother was in the other room. ‘Cause if she found out I was on the phone, it was kind of late, she would’ve been mad.”


Tiffany then follows up: “Yeah, we all knew him. Just like, knowing Alicia, I kind of had an idea that ‘Fallin’’ was for Mr. ‘Butterflyz.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment