Friday, May 24, 2024

 

Alicia Keys and director/writer Joe Carnahan, interviewed by Chuck the Movie Guy for their 2006 film Smokin’ Aces in January 2007.


Alicia made her big-screen debut as Georgia Sykes, a contract killer in Smokin’ Aces alongside rapper Common. She tells Entertainment Weekly about the debut: “It's a little intimidating at first when you walk onto a set and all the people there are actors,” she says. “Some of them are huge names like Ben Affleck or Ray Liotta, and here you are this movie virgin who doesn't know how it all works. But it was a very supportive environment.”

She continues: “Having so many incredible actors surrounding me enabled me to [do my best]. I worked very hard on it, and I felt good about my big-screen debut. I didn't want to play the piano-playing singer. I didn't want to play a singer. I wanted to do something that was completely and totally not me. And this character Georgia Sykes is not me at all. Not one bit Alicia is in there, except she looks like me.''


Written and directed by Joe Carnahan, who had just quit work on Mission Impossible III, wrote a draft of what he called a version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, with dark humor and heavy violence. It would soon be worked into Smokin’ Aces. Several cast members signed on because of Carnahan's association to his prior 2002 hit Narc.


The film centers on the chase for Vegas performer turned mafia informant Buddy “Aces” Israel (Jeremy Piven), whom has been placed with a million-dollar bounty.

Casting includes Ryan Reynolds, Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman, Andy García, Taraji P. Henson, Ray Liotta, Chris Pine, and Matthew Fox, all co-starring as the various individuals attempting to either capture, kill or protect Israel. The film received mixed reviews upon release, but grossed a profitable $57 million at the box office from its $17 million budget. It has since developed somewhat of a cult following for its over the top style and performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment