Friday, May 3, 2024

 

Alicia Keys, Patti LaBelle and Stevie Wonder, photographed during Clive Davis’ annual pre-party for the 44th Annual Grammy Awards, held in the ballroom of the Beverly Hills Hotel on February 26, 2002.


For more than four decades, the night before the Grammys, Davis has hosted what's become the record industry's unofficial annual ball. 

The party started after Davis launched a new label, Arista, and their first record – Barry Manilow's –"Mandy" won two Grammy nominations in 1976. 

"And so we took over the Bel Air Hotel. And Stevie Wonder came and Elton John came and John Denver came. I knew I was on to a really good special thing," Davis said. "Why is it such a hot ticket? Because there's no audience like it.” 


The following awards ceremony day, Alicia would be crowned main recipient, winning five Grammys, including Best New Artist and Song of the Year for her hit "Fallin'".


To end the star-studded night, Alicia along with Patti LaBelle, Stevie Wonder, Angie Stone, Tyrese, Mary Mary, and Justin Timberlake, all performed together for an all-star jam session, performing Wonder’s hits “I Wish,” “As” and “Superstition,” along with Keys' “Fallin’”.


On a December 8, 2003 episode of Ellen, Alicia spoke about performing with the inspirational Stevie Wonder for the first time: “Wow, if I haven’t said a million times ‘if I could just watch him play. If I could just be there and watch him play.’ I’ve said that a million times. He gets on stage and there he goes playing, just lightly. ‘Alicia, what do you want me to sing?’ I’m like ‘uh, uh…’ I can’t think of anything. All I can think of is, you know, ‘You Are the Sunshine of My Life,” [his] biggest songs. But I really wanted to do a deep song. So finally I went for ‘As’. One of my favorite songs. We had such a good time singing it. It was really fantastic. I don’t think I sang too much, I was probably a little nervous.”

No comments:

Post a Comment