Friday, June 21, 2024

 

Alicia Keys, Common and Rihanna, photographed as they attend an after party for Prince in concert at the O2 Arena in London on August 24, 2007.


Prince was in the country to promote his newly released album "Planet Earth," performing on his “21 Nights in London” ‘tour’ at the newly opened O2 Arena in Greenwich, London. Filling the same 23,000 capacity venue 21 dates in a row. Tickets for all 21 nights were sold-out. Alicia would perform at the O2 Arena the following year to promote her album “As I Am” released the prior November.


Scheduled for release that day was “The Nanny Diaries” starring Alicia in her second film role alongside Scarlett Johansson. But for hers and Common’s first feature film role was Joe Carnahan’s 2006 action/crime “Smokin’ Aces.” Common spoke to Entertainment Weekly about working with the singer: ”It was nice to be able to share that experience with the great Alicia Keys,” he says. “I knew her from music and so I didn’t feel totally alone on this. She was new to this as well, [so] she knew what I was going through.”


In the same interview, Alicia added: ”It was nice to not be the only new kid on the block, and it’s nice to hear that Common felt that way too,” she says. “We know each other from music, so it felt like a piece of home with me on the set.”


That year Rihanna had released her third studio album “Good Girl Gone Bad,” but in 2013 she was mentioned in an interview with the London Evening Standard by Alicia: “I’m proud of Rihanna,” she said. “Because it’s not easy to stand up in this crazy world and make it and keep going and try new things. And find your way through it.” Adding: “I don’t know her personally like that. But I do know there’s a lot of good people at Roc Nation and I do think that as we all get older, you start to be able to say, ‘No, I’m not gonna take that from you any more.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment