Thursday, June 13, 2024

 

Alicia Keys, photographed helping to motivate a Chicago inner-city 8th-grade class at the Betty Shabazz International Charter School to dream big and set goals on Thursday, March 31, 2005.


While on tour to promote her sophomore album, The Diary of Alicia Keys, Alicia was in Chicago to perform two sold-out shows at the Chicago Theatre. It was here she visited Chicago's Betty Shabazz International Charter School on South Side, teaming up with nonprofit organization Frum Tha Ground Up to assist teens in learning the importance of self-worth and direction. 


Alicia told the 300 students at the Afrocentric-themed school named after the late wife of Malcolm X: "I would like to create a school like this in New York City. I've never seen anything like it," reports the Chicago Sun-Times. "It's going to take time and a lot of learning on my part, but I'm going to do it." The R&B superstar and the in-school motivational program, started by Alicia’s road manager DJ Walton, were scheduled to visit schools in Atlanta, Washington, D.C., and New York City during her tour.


Pupils performed a traditional song for Alicia, singing in Swahili and wearing traditional Kente clothing. She told them: "I am honoured to be here today with you celebrating me as I am celebrating you. To see a place that's really connected to something, holds onto traditions, I've never seen that anywhere."

No comments:

Post a Comment